Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Verdict...

Well, we, I mean Keith, finally culled out one of our hens. She had us all fooled! She was our biggest hen in the flock and had such huge "looking" breasts - NOT! When it was all said and done, it was all FAT under those feathers! Her carcass was very puny, but we stewed her up anyway - Cajun style of course!! The verdict is that it was too much work for what you get. We will just send the old ladies over to Sam's house to retire a happy life on her 30 acre farm. Or sell them on Craig's list. Either way, we are no longer fantasizing about all the gumbo we will have this winter.

3 comments:

Mamosa said...

We had a rooster that turned mean on us, so we put him down. That thing was seven pounds fully cleaned, but a little on the tough side. I agree. Too much work for just one bird.

lisamom2four said...

Well, at least you tried. ;-) Oh, and I updated my blog. I don't know why I was neglecting it. Just saw your comment from May today.

Elizabeth said...

Lisa - so glad you are blogging again!