Sunday, May 31, 2009

Thank God I'm a Country Girl

NOT! I am a country girl wanna-be. I can't lasso a calf. I don't like to wear poop-kicker boots and walk amongst animal droppings. I get squeemish at just the thought of having to do real farm work, like helping a goat give birth (or worse). Nope, none of that is for me. I just like my beautiful chickens and have been quite thrilled the last 3 years that they are mainly maintenance free. You feed and water them and get wonderful fresh eggs.



Until now. We injured one of our young hens and she now has two broken legs. She can't walk. You would think it would be no problem to just slaughter, pluck, season & cook as desired. But we can't bring ourselves to do it. We are not real farmers. We are wanna be's, and not even very good wanna be's at that. I know, it is just a chicken and it would put her out of her misery, but to take a beautiful life just simply feels wrong.

We have her isolated and keep saying today is "the day", but we have been saying that for 2 weeks now. So you see, I am not a real country girl, but quite frankly, I am just fine being a wanna be.

2 comments:

Mamosa said...

If you hang her upside down by her legs, she will fall asleep. That will make putting her down a little easier...

Joe said...

Debbie's parents keep chickens. Once they slaughtered some, but the kids wouldn't eat them. So here mom got some of those styrofoam trays from the meat market, and thawed the chicken on those. When the kids thought the chicken was from the store, they ate it just fine.