Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sunday Grilling

But it wasn't meat that was grilled. It was me. By two teachers. Back to back. At church. While we ate lunch. They don't get it. They stare blankly at my disdain for institutional education. I am not qualified to teach. How can I possibly teach high math? Who tells me what books to buy? How do I report to the government? They know a homeschooler. Who can't read. Or add. All homeschoolers, therefore, must be ill-educated. They ignore the fact that homeschoolers out score all other students. They win the national bees. Frankly, I don't care about test scores. Or bees, unless they are bumble. And then, I love them. Because they make honey. And honey is really incredible.

But I did not like being grilled. Or singed. I forgot all those clever come back answers I had rehearsed. I made one of them mad. I hope. I said moms know best. She left the table.

Next time, I will leave the table. Or say something clever. Or turn up the fire.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about "I wouldn't expect YOU to understand. (big cheesy grin) Hey, could you pass the mashed potatoes?!"

Journee said...

I hate the "I know homeschoolers who can't read or add" line also. People like that cannot be reasoned with, I think it was their public indoctration, er, I mean education. You have to just smile and remember that others do not like to see you sacrifice your "me time" in order to educate your children. It makes them feel guilty for sending their kids off.

Mamosa said...

Uh-oh. I'm sorry you had to go through this...at church, no less. We had an issue with our previous church where they didn't "get" homeschooling either, but for different reasons than your two teachers. I don't expect us to all agree, especially if they've actually had a good experience with institutional schooling, but I at least expect the courtesy of them not being aggressive or antagonistic about it.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for all your comments of support. It's not as if I've never been interrogated, I mean quizzed, before, but this seemed different. They seemed to want to trip me up and make me feel small. Whatever.

Pennie said...

How rude! They clearly do not know either you or your children. I however, having that honor, decided long ago that you are one of the most dedicated mothers and educators I have ever met and your boys reflect your love and high standard of education every time I see them!

Pennie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mindy said...

Yuck, yuck, and more yuck. If they agreed with you, though, their job is obsolete :)

lisamom2four said...

What do they know! Sorry that people can't be nice. Not to justify what they did but they are speaking from fear. We should pray for them to have more understanding and for them to not be judgemental. BTW, we are lucky to live in the United States of America where we still have some choices that we can make.

Unknown said...

well i have to say that these women the only experience with homeschooler is probably from a failed perspective. The public schools see homeschoolers who were originally kick out of public school and indignantly said "well i'll teach my own child" and the same results occur. They the parents put as much time and care into their child education in a home invironment as they did in a brick and morter school. I had to overcome this sterotype in my family, and i did! The proofs in the pudding. And i have the test scores to back it up. I do hope these ladies have enough sense to honestly see some properly homeschooled children and what lovely,smart,articulate,well behaved,creative youths they truly are. I must also add that there are success stories in brick and morter schools also and that is usually because of the parents care and participation in their lives