Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Reflections and dedications...

Today, I dedicate our entire supper meal to friends, past and present. Those whom we have supped with, and those who shared recipes with me. I feel so blessed to have shared many meals with you, many recipes swapped and many fond memories. You are part of the fabric of our family's menu, and I dedicate this meal to YOU!

Tonight, we will be eating Michelle C.'s honey-lime-garlic chicken breasts, wrapped in my homemade tortillas. This is one of our favorite chicken meals, and every time we eat it, Michelle gets lots of warm thought and prayers sent across state lines.

Eddie P.'s FABULOUS refried beans will be a side dish. He made these for us virtually every week for over 3 years running. You have no idea how much I miss his laugh!!! Being that he is from Arizona, I feel like his beans are pretty authentic! Yum, yum, Eddie! You will be in our farts, I mean hearts, today and for hours to follow.....

My friend Lisa P. once shared her gramma's Spanish Rice recipe, and it is SO GOOD!!! It is very easy to make and comes out perfect every time. My kids always gobble it up, and if they get sick of it by day three, the chickens love it, also! Ole' to you, Lisa!

And for dessert, Mindy's Chocolate Zucchini cupcakes are HONKIN' good!!! My kids absolutely have to have these any time we have zucchini on hand. They are even made with freshly milled flour and come out just as delicate as any cake would. Mindy, I miss you and think of you often! I see a bean salad on my horizon, and I will think of you again!

Thankfully, I also have many other recipes that I associate with my dear friends. I'm sorry I didn't mention you by name, but surely you must know that I think of you often, even if I am not cooking one of your recipes. I am just in a reflective mood, and wanted my peeps to know I was thinking of them.

It's an abundant life, in more ways than one!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may have to pass along the honey-lime-garlic chicken recipe, and also the homemade tortilla recipe! This sounds like something that is right up our alley.

Elizabeth said...

Honey Lime Chicken - simple! marinate some chicken breasts in the juice of 1 lime (2 if they are small) some honey (about 1/4-1/3 cup) and3 pressed garlic cloves. When you put it on the grill, simply salt, pepper and add cumin and/or cilantro if desired. YUMMY! Watch out, the honey will make it burn easily.

Joe said...

I want the rice recipe. We have Patty Peck's, and I'm pretty sure that will be hard to beat - but I'm a willing test subject!

Elizabeth said...

Joe, let me ask my friend if she minds that I put her gramma's recipe on-line. Otherwise, I can e-mail it to you.