Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dog Training 101

It has been 3 weeks now since we adopted Levi. When we first brought him home, he thought he was the alpha dog, and at 96 pounds, it was hard to convince him otherwise. I am no dog expert, but I at least know the basics, and if you want a well trained dog, the first thing that has to happen is establish yourself as the alpha dog. At first, he will be very resistant, and your arms will get very tired of pulling him and pushing him. ALWAYS go first through the doors, always walk first up the stairs, etc. Basic stuff. Fast forward three weeks, and something finally clicked in Levi's little doggie mind - he is no longer the alpha. He now waits at the door for me to walk through first and is now walking well on the leash, with no pulling. Praise God for that one, because it was killing my arms to keep him at my side.

Another problem an alpha dog may exhibit is their desire to run off. Up until yesterday, Levi would try to run down the road and never look back. You could scream his name and whistle and all the typical calls you make to get your dog's attention. He acted as if he was deaf. Yesterday, every time he would try to walk out of the yard, I would call and he actually stopped dead in his tracks and came back. I am elated with this progress!!! Every time he would return to me, I would praise him lots. I think he felt a little deflated, because he really wanted to explore, but in time, he will be much happier and more secure.

We still have a way to go, but I am just thrilled with the progress we have made in 3 weeks. Who ever owned him never took the time to teach him any commands or even simple words. I have my work cut out for me, but at least he is starting to show that he is making the connections. I have no doubt he will know many words over the next few months.

2 comments:

Jill said...

It sounds like Levi is well on his way to becoming a well-mannered doggy. I know you'll do as wonderful a job with him as you did with Abby. Her training and manners are super!

~Jill and Abby

Journee said...

that's so great that he's doing good!
And I think I recommended this site for Shelby, but -um. Dogbreedinfo.com. It's a great site with loads of stuff on it! I practically read the whole thing before I got Zelda.