Thursday, April 1, 2010

Food for Thought

WARNING: Put on your steel toed boots, as I may be stepping on some toes. It's not intentional by any means, I just want to enlighten you a bit. Not being judgmental at all, really. And I know how sensitive some of you are, and may take this personally, but please don't.

First of all, I notice a lot of my friends become fans of many things on the internet. I, myself, am also a fan of a few things, but I am very selective about where I cast my endorsement. I don't have a problem with people becoming fans of everything under the sun, whatever makes you happy, go for it. But can't you at least be discretionary about people who have so-called "food" blogs? Like what is so fan worthy of a blogger who uses canned biscuits, canned soups and box mixes in almost all of their recipes? Whoopy-ding-dong, anyone can open a can of biscuits.

Have we really sank so low as cooks that anyone who can toss some canned biscuits with some cinnamon and sugar is now a gourmet? I know, I know, who has time to make biscuits from scratch? And those canned soups (although laden with sodium & MSG) are just so easy and consistent...... Well, I also wrestle with time constraints (run a small business, work part-time, homeschool 4 boys, etc.) and I manage to make everything from scratch, freshly milled flour and all that. I have four sons who are perfectly capable of helping me in the kitchen, but they would rather have dental work done than do that. Thus, I am virtually alone every day, making HEALTHY and wholesome meals with REAL food. It merely involves planning and fortitude.

I suppose, if I had some extra time, I could create a food blog. But really, I give out enough recipes and tricks-of-the-trade secrets to my friends all the time. I choose to make the food for my family and friends, instead of blog about it for admiration from strangers. And one more thing, when doing a recipe blog, do we really need pictures of every single ingredient? It just totally makes it look like you are talking down to your viewers, as if they can't read an ingredient list and know what it looks like... egads. Ok, I feel better now and I hope none of you are offended, but are enlightened, if only a little bit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! When I cook, I cook "from scratch" as much as possible (I don't mill my flour, although I would like to learn), and I'm fairly picky about my ingredients. I have seen so many recipes that are nothing more than mixtures of various processed junk from the store. And people wonder why they have health problems!

If you start a food blog, I will definitely subscribe!!

Journee said...

This is Sam,

Perhaps you should start a food blog...something different from the ones you despise. I would subscribe too.
That was quite a rant.

Elizabeth said...

Jowanna, so good to hear there are still a few of "üs"left! You could easily mill your flour - I hardly change a thing in my recipes to compensate for the fresh flour. You can do it!

Journey, it wasn't that much of a rant. I may do a food blog one day, but for now, I have enough to keep me busy. I sure do enjoy YOUR blog, though! It is creative and original and very fun to read! I love how your blog is YOU!

Journee said...

Elizabeth,

That was ME (SAM) who left the comment. I was signed in under Journee's profile.

Glad you like her blog.....

lol
sami:-)