Thursday, August 20, 2009

Domesticated, but not tame

It's been a very nice summer, but during the summer, I often take a vacation from many of my domestic talents. Sewing, creating, cooking and such are put on hold until the flowers have stopped blooming and the air is cooler. The kids and I have had much fun with many fabulous friends to visit, hike and picnic with in great locations. We've had many great fellowships and potlucks, but it is time to get back into a more productive routine. The kids have really wanted a routine back, where the meals and the schedules are dependable.

Last year we made a feeble attempt at unschooling. It bombed, to say the least. I am sure it is because I didn't do it "right". The kids just want to learn together and discuss together. They want to have our daily talks with God and then walk into a country or an era or a science project together. They may not openly admit they love learning new things, but I am their mom and I know they do love it. They flourish when we are learning something new, sometimes it is even new for me. (nothing against unschooling, I think if it works for you, go for it. We wilted trying it)

We are studying countries, cultures and missionaries this year. So far, it has been very fun. Who knows, we could have a missionary in the making... They are studying Spanish, Algebra 2, biology and several fun computer games. We plan to have a relaxed schedule, always having time for a friend to stop in for a visit. Chris and Andrew will be responsible for 2 meals a week - this should be interesting. I hope they will be brave and try something new....

I have been freezing lots of goodies, making jam and have two quilt projects going. Today I made 5 dozen butternut squash muffins. They won't last long. Tomorrow I will make granola bars for Andrew, who is going camping for the weekend. He is excelling in Civil Air Patrol and is setting his sites on getting into the Air Force Academy. That would be so awesome!

We have friends coming in from LA next week and we couldn't be more excited. The kids are asking for homemade donuts and another trip to the waterfall. What can I say but yes?

Keith has been told there is a potential, don't get your hopes up, expansion. This would make his site one of the the top ones in his division. We are in much prayer about this and have no doubt that the Lord will Bless it, even if the answer is no.

I am looking forward to apple season in Ellijay, fall colors, winter soups and lots of board games being played together. The blessings abound, in more ways than I can count.

No comments: