Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. No gifts to worry about, it's not hot and it's all about being together with your family. I really miss the Thanksgivings my mom used to do. She would work for days on end and miraculously have it all together at just the right time. I used to love to set the table for her and arrange everything nicely. She would let me iron the napkins and table cloth - what fun! It is a time for me to reflect on spending all that time in the kitchen with mom and to hopefully provide my kids with some fond memories, too.

My mom's tradition was to make sure everyone had their favorite pie and with 12 kids to make pies for, those are a lot of pies. I do the same thing with my boys - they each pick a pie and I make it, or they help make it. I made apple, pumpkin, lemon and peanut butter!!! I only want a bite of each - I am pretty much off of sugar and now it is just too sweet for me.

I no longer make stuffing since marrying a southerner. It must be cornbread dressing for this guy. I like cornbread dressing, but I sure do miss that savory stuffing from years ago. I will occasionally make it, but since I don't make it very often, it is not as good as it could be. The cornbread dressing is very good and I put much love into it.

I hope you are filled with much thanks for the blessings in your life and I hope you are surrounded by the people you love. The food is merely a bonus (to me).

1 comment:

Mamosa said...

I enjoyed reading your reminiscing about your Mom's Thanksgiving. It wasn't the same here today without family. Too quiet! Thank you for the invitation over, but I just logged into the computer...and I'm whooped!!

I understand about the pies being too sweet. We had pecan and pumpkin, and I couldn't finish either piece!