Thursday, December 29, 2011

Epic Milestones

At least they are epic to us. Chris turned 18 this month, graduated from high school and finished his first semester of college. Epic, I tell you, epic. We now have three adult aged people in the house, and occasionally, one or two of us will act like an adult, but never simultaneously... That would be too dull. Chris registered to vote and got his adult driver's license all on the same day. Epic.

Andrew now has his learner's permit and is working hard towards earning his Mitchell promotion in Civil Air Patrol. This will give him the rank of 2nd Lieutenant, an officer, and will give him the epic ability to enlist in the United States Air Force as an E3, which is the equivalent to being in the Air Force for about two years. They will even register him as having served for two years, thus allowing him many benefits and privileges. Epic and honoring, all at once... at least to me.

Michael finished out his first semester of high school with great success. He is not certain what direction he wants to take later in life, and thankfully, he doesn't have to decide yet. He has really blossomed into a young man lately and is so honoring and respectful to me and Keith. He has such a good heart and still adores James in an epic way.

James is playing rink hockey (I know this is very surprising, especially if you know James) but he loves it. He has scored two goals and has some assists. I think he prefers playing defense, but is flexible and and humble enough to play where needed. We try to all go as a family and cheer him on each week. Epic.

Keith, now well into his 50th year, cackle, cackle, has the plant looking and running epically. He has changed virtually every building, railroad track, vessel, gear and all that other plant stuff over the nearly five years he has been there. If you could see all of the before and after pictures, you would be epically impressed. I am sure I have mentioned this before, but this time it looks more tangible: an expansion is on the books!!! The company has hired an architect firm and some engineers to begin the early phase of expanding. This would be epic, indeed. It would also open the door of opportunity to one or more of our sons to work with their dad at the plant. Epic.

Me? Nothing epic to report, but I do feel in my heart that I am blessed beyond epic proportions. We are all healthy, we have fabulous friends, and we are not hungry. I've made a few quilts this fall and knitted a few things here and there, but mainly I dedicate much of my life to completing this marathon of being a mom at home. Perhaps that is sort of epic, but for now I will simply call it life.

Happy New Year to all of you! I pray for health and wisdom for each of you, and if you are lucky, maybe you will also have an epic year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love hearing the updates on everyone! Sounds like you are all doing great. You really are blessed! I hope 2012 is a great year for you.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks, Jowanna! Hint, Hint, but would LOVE to hear an update on you guys!!!!!

Susan said...

Everything sounds EPIC! ;o) Such great milestones and surviving a house full of testosterone is EPIC!!

Elizabeth said...

Susan, I would think you are the Epic one - surviving a household of six sons. You and Abigail have my complete empathy!