Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Time to Mourn


I dread the first week of January, now more than ever. Keith's gramma passed away last night. She was 90 years old. We all hold a very special place in our heart for her and will never forget her. She made the best gumbo and pralines on this earth! I am so glad we got to see her last month, on Thanksgiving. Rest in peace, Maw Maw Dee!

Monday marked the two year anniversary of Matt, our nephew, and the tragic car accident that took him and a half-brother. Matt was only 23 and full of life and love for the Lord. Keith's sister, Becky has to live without him and I know that is not an easy thing to do, every day.

And today marks the 21st anniversary of my mom's death. You have no idea how much I miss her. I miss her every day and wish I could have had her a little longer, but honestly, I don't think it would ever have been long enough for me. I have so many things I would have loved to share with her, especially my kids. Nobody loves you like your mother, and I have never stopped longing for that feeling, the feeling that left abruptly 21 years ago and will never return. People, if you still have your mom, please go easy on her. She's been through a lot to raise you. Love her as if this was the last day you will see her, because you just never know when you will get that phone call.

All that aside, the Lord promises he will comfort those in mourning, and He does. Today, I plan on meditating and praying these Bible verses; perhaps they will comfort you as well:

I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow. Jer 31:13

Those who sow with tears will reap with songs of joy.
Psalm 126:4-6

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Matthew 5:3-5

...weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
Psalm 30:6

God does not want to only focus on the pain of death, but the joy of life eternal. Is your heart right with God?

1 comment:

Mamosa said...

I'm so glad that you all got to see her recently.