Monday, February 25, 2008

Spring is Near

I am very excited about spring coming. I have been planning, on paper, my new garden spot. Keith has a connection at work and is able to get me some FREE topsoil. I love free stuff! He also has a stone connection and will be able to get me some stepping stones at a reduced cost. I am going to make a huge herb and flower garden just off the patio. I have been collecting native seeds, many of them given to me from different friends.

Keith said he would cut down one of the cedar trees in our woods so I can turn it into a bird feeder stand. I get many fabulous birds here in the summer that I used to only get in the winter in LA, when their plumage was dull. I get gold finches, titmice, downey woodpeckers, white breasted nuthatches, rose breastes grosbeaks, chickadees, etc. Birding here is paradise!!!! I also get the great pileated woodpecker - quite the sight and sound!!! Blue birds surround our property (in flocks!) and seem to stay all year long. We have several empty bluebird houses waiting for their first tenants. Maybe this year they will get some occupants......

If you ever want to come bird watching, our screened in porch is a great place to start!!! Come on over!

No comments: