Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Long & Short of it

We began a new school year, as of Monday.  Last week, we took a  mini-vacation to Callaway Gardens and had a refreshing time of togetherness and leisure and junk food.  Chris had taken on a full-time day job at the beginning of summer and had a night class, so we had no opportunity to take a vacation together.  We barely squeezed this one in, but I am glad we did.

Callaway is about a 3 hour drive south from us.  The resort information made it sound like a great little getaway, and it was, although I felt like it was rather overpriced.  We stayed in a very nice cottage that accommodated us well.  The  junk we brought along was quite fun: gummy bears, pretzel M & M's, pop-tarts, pop and chips.  Yes, you are still reading my blog.  I realize it may come as a shock to you, but we do, on occasion, eat junk.  I am known to have a penchant for twizzlers and malted milk balls.  Stay on topic....  The first thing we did when we arrived was ascertain the skill level and chicken level needed in order to brave their Tree Top Adventure.  Three of us ascertained that we were chicken, while we watched in awe, the other three brave souls that zipped across the sky and maneuvered frightening obstacles, all while perched about 50-60 feet off of the ground.  The course takes about 90 minutes to complete, so it really did offer a challenge.




The resort had a very nice beach, laser tag, mini-golf (let it go on the record that I won the game we played), ping-pong, kayaking, bike rentals and several lakes.  They also had some historic areas, lush gardens and a huge butterfly exhibit.  It sprawled across 13,000 acres and was very well kept.  Their golf courses looked very professional and manicured.  It was not a very exciting vaca, but we all agreed it was just right.  The crowds had dissipated and we had the place all to ourselves.   The town of Pine Mountain offered some very pleasurable shopping for me, and so my obsession began with my new Thyme's Frasier Fir cleaning spray.  I am cleaning things that don't need cleaned, just to catch a whiff of the lovely fir.

Moving on, Andrew was sworn into the United States Air Force and will be called to serve any time after April, 2013.  We are still waiting to hear how his screen test went for the radio/broadcast position.  He felt like he did really well.  The other fellow who screened with him was told to pick another career in the Air Force, so I am thinking they would have told Andrew something similar if his chances didn't look promising.  We should know in another week or two.  Whatever is in the Lord's will for Andrew, we are fine no matter what.

Chris began his sophomore year in college.  I suspect he will prove to be the Ace man again.  He makes it look so easy!  His photographic memory and attention to detail surely are assets for him.  This year, he will be taking some of his business classes since most of his liberal arts subjects have been completed.  I think he will find the business classes are much more interesting for him!

Michael has reluctantly signed up for a 3D Drafting class that is being taught by a veteran architect.  Michael does not realize it, but being in 10th grade means you need to be thinking about your future.  I am praying he will enjoy the class and see the talents the Lord has gifted him in his drawing.  His drawing abilities are very impressive and I think this class will spark a few embers that may have been burning coolly.

James continues to play deck hockey with our good friends.  He really looks forward to hockey nights and is improving a lot in only one year of playing.  It seems he has a better attitude about school this year, and for that I give all of the glory to the Lord.

Keith is knee deep, actually probably deeper than that, in that new expansion I mentioned a while back.  It is full steam ahead and he is working longer hours than usual.  I know the challenges will be many for him and his crew, but I am praying that the blessings will be more abundant than the problems.  I also pray for the safety and prosperity of all involved on this project.  I am thinking the next several months will not lack for excitement out there.  Lord, please be with them!



I got back my king sized quilt back yesterday from the quilter.  I had been working on it early in the summer and it really looks great quilted!  I still have to make and apply the binding.  It is a remake of the same pattern I used when I made Keith a wedding gift nearly 20 years ago (our anniversary is in September).  I guess if the Lord wills it, I will make another one in 20 years for our 40th anniversary.   I am looking forward to finishing it and getting it onto our bed and then on to make matching window treatments.  This was my first, and hopefully last, king sized quilt.  Queen sized and smaller are much easier to manage....  Nonetheless, I am very glad to have made it - it is very special to both of us!!

 Libby, our newest family member is really quite something!  I've never had a small dog before and I really am enjoying her!!  She trained easily and has a very affectionate personality.  Everyone that meets her, loves her!!  I feel so blessed that we were able to get her!

Yes, indeed, I am enjoying these cooler mornings!!  Bring it on!!!  Ya'll have a blessed day!!!




2 comments:

lisamom2four said...

Your vacation sounds like fun. I know what you mean by squeezing in a vacation. We had to do that year as well. Love the quilt it is beautiful and your dog is adorable. ;-)

Mamosa said...

I love the quilt! Absolutely beautiful!